Friday, July 27, 2012

The DFA experience

ONLINE APPOINTMENT
I scheduled an online appointment with DFA last week. I needed to have my passport renewed because of an impending trip. Though I know I am pressed for time I still went ahead with the appointment and was just keeping my fingers crossed that I would be able to get it earlier than the rush processing of 10 days. Anyway, I clicked the 11:30AM appointment for December 9.

GOING THERE - COMMUTE
The weather was not that very cooperative today. Coming from Antipolo, I and my partner took the shuttle to Ayala Avenue. We were able to ride the shuttle at around 9AM. Because it was raining, traffic was expected to be bad. At about 10:45AM we alighted in Buendia and took the taxi to DFA-OCA.

TIME OF ARRIVAL
We arrived at the DFA a little past 11AM. We entered the Gate #2. Even if it was raining, the guards still insisted on checking the printed passport application form to check the appointment time. Then I was directed to proceed to a table in front of where the guards are located. I showed them the printed application form, put a stamp on it then directed me to proceed to a tent with an "11:30" label and with several benches with several people already seated. I seated at the 4th row. It took about 5 minutes before we were asked to enter the DFA office.

LINING UP

Upon entering the "office", don't think for one second that you'd already be accommodated.  Once inside, there were about 8 rows of benches used by overly patient passport applicants to sit on while on queue.  I was accommodated at around 1:30 PM in one of the 5 open windows on that day.  

REQUEST FOR EXTENSION OF VALID

My purpose was to renew my application.  But, realizing that my flight was dec 18, I knew that the passport can not make it in time for my trip.  I just then asked if it's possible to extend validity of my passport.  I was asked to proceed to the Director' office.

In the director's office, I waited for another hour to be called.  I was asked to prepare a letter stating the reason why I needed an extension.  I waited another 30 minutes for the approval of my request.  Then, I was instructed to pay for the fee (P200) at the second floor of the building (this took me another 15 minutes).  After paying, I went back to the Director's office, showed my receipt and was asked to come back 2 days after to claim my passport.

TIME FINISHED
I left the building at around 4PM.

POSITIVE

  • The staff in the Director's office was friendly.  I was expecting they will ask too many questions and documentations but, I was only required to write a letter of request. 
  • The fee for extension is very reasonable at P200.00

NEEDS MAJOR IMPROVEMENT
  • The online application is obviously not being followed.  My appointment was at 11:30 and only got to the window at 1:30.  I assume they accept 100 or more applicants online per allotted schedule. 
  • They need more staff to man their windows to accommodate more people.
  • The guard, who is guiding the applicants to the window, was rude.  People have lined up for more than 1 hour, we deserve courtesy.  
  • The office is too far at least from my place.  Not very convenient to go to.


No comments: